Tuesday, August 12, 2014

It's Time - Don't Wait To Prepare For School

Sara O'Hagan / youthjournalism.org

Enjoy the summer while it lasts, as these young people were recently doing poolside in sunny Albuferia, Portugal.
By Sara O’Hagan
Junior Reporter
DERRY, Northern Ireland – Summer is nearly over. Yes, I know it’s upsetting because it’s that time again: back to school. Well, here I am: 17 years old and ready to begin my final year at school.
After this final year, I’m thrown out into the world and am supposed to know what I want to do with my life.
Before beginning sixth form (the final two years of secondary school in Northern Ireland), I was incredibly nervous.
All my teachers repeatedly said, “This is where the hard work begins,” and “It’s a big jump” from the lower grades. Neither helped the anxiety I felt at the thought of starting sixth form. Work upon work upon work. I felt like it would be never ending.
Once I started sixth form last September, it was partly what it was described to be but, in a way, better.
The workload, of course, was heavy, but for me it seemed more manageable. Studying A-Levels only requires me to study three or four subjects so, obviously, I opted for three. 
At the start of the term I thought that it would make my life easier to find the motivation to do my work properly and thoroughly. One thing I can tell you is that scheduling your time is key. I learned down the line that this was the best option.
Another piece of advice I would give is not to procrastinate. Leaving work to the very last minute is never good, because then it starts to build up: this is something you most definitely do not want.
This advice may not help many of you as the UK school system differs from most places, but it is a concrete start. All in all, sixth form or senior year for the majority, is really not as bad as it seems. Work hard, get the grades, and get out. 
*** 
Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at

No comments: