Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Reflections On Casting His First Ballot

Today is Election Day in the United States. In honor of the 18-year-olds who are voting for the first time, Youth Journalism International offers a reflection from exactly seven years ago today:

By Tyler Wentland
Reporter
Youth Journalism International

TERRYVILLE, Conn., U.S.A. -- There are certain milestones in life that they say everyone goes through, such as getting your first kiss, your driver’s license and making your first vote.

I got my first kiss, I got my license and, Tuesday, I voted.

As I pulled up the driveway an elderly man was sitting in a lawn chair wearing a big furry hat, smiling and waving to me as I drove by.

It felt good, almost welcoming, like I was doing the right thing and everyone, even strangers, were proud of me.  

As I walked along the sidewalk of Main Street School, which I had attended so many years ago...  To read Tyler's entire piece, click on this link.

No comments: