Thursday, July 7, 2011

London's Day Of Terror: July 7, 2005

Six years ago, when terrorists struck London, eight Youth Journalism International writers from London, Singapore, Canada and the United States offered their thoughts in a special package called Target: London.
On this awful anniversary, we think their work is worth another look:

July 11, 2005
-- Opinion --
That was my double decker bus ...
By Hayley Slade
Youth Journalism International
LONDON, England -- When I saw the images of train stations I learned to love throughout my childhood growing up in London totally devastated, I felt truly sick and terrified.
To see them destroyed made me feel scared as well as angry -- angry that these terrorists can steal away the safety of my country and could have potentially taken my life.
I have been extremely disturbed to think that it could have so easily been me on one of those trains, or someone in my family.
I was working when I heard of the bombings, and quickly cycled home to watch the news, with a wrenching feeling in my stomach.
Read the rest of Haley's piece at this link.

July 11, 2005
-- Opinion --
London bombers killed hope
By Chloe Stead
Youth Journalism International
LONDON, England -- The first inkling I got that something was wrong came when I walked into the cafeteria at dinner time and realized that the television was not, as it should be, tuned onto MTV.
A group of fellow students were sitting in a semicircle around the TV, watching open-mouthed. My eyes traveled up to read the news bulletin.
It told me everything I needed to know: 'London blast.’
I hurried on to my usual table.
“Seven bombs … they won't tell us anything,” my friend hurriedly informed me.
And it was like all the positive things which had happened in the past few days vanished.
Read the rest of Chloe's piece at this link.


July 8, 2005
-- Opinion --
War on terror begins at home
By Geraldine Soon
Youth Journalism International
SINGAPORE -- With millions of viewers around the world glued to their TV sets watching the 117th Session of the International Olympic Committee that was taking place in Singapore at the Raffles City Convention Centre, a terrorist attack was probably the last thing on everyone's minds.
No one expected it. Just seven hours after the results were announced that London had won the rights to host the 2012 Olympics, the party of ecstatic supporters in London crashed to a halt, with the breaking news of the terror bomb blasts that had just torn through London's transport network.
When I heard about the attacks, the first thought that crossed my mind was that it had something to do with London's victory, but I knew immediately that was not possible: It had only been hours after the Olympic results were announced.
The attack was definitely the work of terrorists, just when everyone was least expecting it.
Amidst of all the things that were going on -- the excitement of the five cities bidding to be host country for the 2012 Olympics, along with the crucial G8 summit -- the attack has, once again, served to remind us that the "war on terror" is far from over.
The fact that the attacks were targeted not at the rich and politically famous, but at working, middle-class Londoners of all races and religions in revenge for Britain sending troops to Iraq, just goes to show that perhaps President Bush has been mistaken all along.
Perhaps this "war on terror" has been fought at the wrong place and wrong time.
But I beg to differ.
Read the rest of Geraldine's piece at this link.


July 10, 2005
-- Opinion --
Carrying on in London
By Cassie Lloyd Perrin
Youth Journalism International
ENGLAND -- Returning to the classroom late on the last day of the summer term Thursday, after an unscheduled, emergency prefects meeting, an unusual sight greeted my eyes.
All 12 members of my form were on their mobile phones -- not unusual in itself, but the fact that my teacher was present in the room at the time when such a large number of contraband items of technology were in use during school hours was more than slightly odd.
It was then that I heard -- while my head was full of ‘get involved’ initiatives and applications for the ‘Sport Support’ team -- that the bombing of London we had all been told was not a question of if, but when, had occurred.
The phones were out in desperate bids to check on the status of loved ones.
Unfortunately for those of us with parents who commute the short distance to work on the London Underground network every morning, all mobile phone coverage in Central London was either jammed or switched off to prevent further attacks.
But we did not know this at the time.
Uncertainty was rife.
No one, not even the 24 hour news stations, the police or the government knew the precise number of blasts or where and why they occurred.
Read the rest of Cassie's piece by following this link.

July 7, 2005
-- Opinion --
Carnage in London
By John Elfed Hughes
Youth Journalism International
WALES -- When I switched on the television I was shocked to see that terrorists had now managed to strike London.
I shouted to my mother "Come, quick! London has been bombed!"
I don't think anyone felt London was immune from terrorist attacks, because despite the police foiling several attacks, they warned that an attack was "imminent."
However, after the glorious celebrations of having the honor to host the Olympic Games in 2012, I didn't expect a scene of carnage only hours after overwhelming joy.
Sadly, these attacks have tried to bitterly destroy London's plans for hosting the Olympic Games, but the terrorists will not win.
To read the rest of John's piece, follow this link.


July 7, 2005
-- Opinion --
War comes to London, but doesn't need to spread
By Wesley David Fane
Youth Journalism International
DIXON, Illinois, U.S.A. - Today isn't such a good day.
It was supposed to be an exciting day because I'm supposed to leave for New Mexico for a two week hike in the wilderness.
Now I'm not feeling so sure about what I will come back to in a fortnight.
I just found out about the London attacks.
It's horrifying to see a picture of a bus torn to bits in a country you've always thought of as a safe happy place.
To read the rest of what Wesley wrote, follow this link.

July 7, 2005
-- Opinion --
Don't forget Africa
By Liane Harder
Youth Journalism International
MICHIGAN, U.S.A. - When I think of London, England, I imagine those guards with the tall hats. I imagine Big Ben chiming the hour. I imagine a double-decker bus going happily down the street.
Suddenly, there is a massive explosion and the bus is completely destroyed.
What? Is this not in keeping with your vision of London? It should be -- after today.
Several bombs went off in London this morning, killing over 40 people and injuring more than 300, according to officials.
The terrorists claiming the responsibility for the blasts say they are a British cell of al-Qaeda, the same group who attacked the United States in 2001.
In nearby Scotland, eight world leaders are meeting to discuss poverty in Africa and global warming.
Terrorism is, of course, on the agenda, but it was not nearly as important until today.
To read the rest of Liane's piece, follow this link.


July 7, 2005
-- Opinion --
Canada seeks to comfort a wounded England
By Teague Neal
Youth Journalism International
TORONTO, Ontario, Canada - I awoke this morning to images of blood and death, a blown-up bus, charred trains and shattered lives.
The terror attacks in London this morning have taken a toll in my country of Canada , as there is an immense friendship here with England .
It is my belief and hope that Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin, who’s in Gleneagles, Scotland for the G-8 conference, will provide comfort to England in as many ways as he can.
This past weekend, while staying at our family farm in Elora, Ontario, I encountered a British couple that wanted to call England. We assisted them, a small deed that highlights the proud bond that exists between British and Canadians.
Over the past few years, Toronto has had its share of scares and suspected terrorist threats.
I know people who work for Toronto’s transportation systems who inspect subways and buses.
After the London attacks, I have fresh concern for them.
To read the rest of what Teague wrote, follow this link.


No comments: