Friday, November 26, 2010

Young Reporter Sickened By Black Friday

YJI reporter Brice Birdsall of Oregon weighed in two years ago on the Black Friday trampling death and what it said about American consumer culture.
Read her piece below.

December 1, 2008
 -- Opinion --
Black Friday sickens
By Brice Birdsall
Junior Reporter, Youth Journalism InternationalPortland, Oregon, U.S.A. – Black Friday is the Friday after Thanksgiving in the United States, where it is the beginning of the traditional Christmas shopping season.
I feel that Black Friday is basically outing how consumer-based we as Americans are.
Let me explain.
Over the weekend, I read an article saying that a temporary employee at a Wal-Mart store in Long Island, N.Y. was trampled to death by early morning shoppers on Black Friday when he was opening the doors.
That sickens me.
Consumers killing a man to buy things? That doesn't make any sense to me, even if it was an accident.
Material things will be there forever but our lives might not be. So why does the drive to spend money on things that can be replaced come before a human life?
Does that make sense to you? It doesn't to me.
Read other Black Friday opinions - pro and con - and much more here: ttp://tinyurl.com/2w2zlz6

1 comment:

Kate said...

Makes no sense. It really doesn't say anything complimentary about our culture. I have never participated and never will. The money I saved would never be worth it.

Great article!